Magento is an open-source e-commerce platform written in PHP.
It uses multiple other PHP frameworks such as Laminas (formerly known as Zend Framework) and Symfony.
Magento source code is distributed under Open Software License (OSL) v3.0.
Magento was acquired by Adobe Inc in May 2018 for $1.68 billion.
More than 150,000  online stores have been created on the platform.
Varien published the first general-availability release of the software on March 31, 2008. Roy Rubin, the former CEO of Varien, later sold a share of the company to eBay, which eventually completely acquired and then sold the company to Permira; Permira later sold it to Adobe.
November 17, 2015, Magento 2.0 was released. Among the features changed in V2 were:
- significant performance and security improvements, especially when paired with PHP version 7+
- integrated server-side Apache Varnish caching with minimal tuning
- reduced database table locking issues
- enterprise-grade database scalability
- rich snippets for structured data
- new file structure with easier customization
- CSS pre-processing using LESS & CSS URL resolver
- modular code base structure, offering fine-grain customization
- improved coding patterns
- improved static content browser caching